Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Committed or Dedicated??

Every morning at school we recite the Sailor's Creed before we do anything else for the day. As I was reciting it aloud I had a moment of utter stupidity. I mistakingly replaced one word for another, but it just seemed to fit so well. Here is the Sailor's Creed in it's entirity.

I am a United States Sailor.
I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me.
I represent the fighting spirit of the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.
I proudly serve my country’s Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment.
I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.

The very last line says "I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all". I replaced committed with dedicated, and didn't feel like it was a mistake.

Looking at the defination for committed and dedicated, I think that dedicated fits squarely with the message the creed is designed to convey. I know that most of the time traditionalists fight to keeps things unchanged, but IMO this would be a positive change. Now what to do about this, well I could send an email to the CNO's office with a suggestion for it to be changed, or I could send it to the writers of the Bluejackets Manual and see where that get me. I don't really know, but I think it'd be a great idea to at least try.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment