Sunday, April 24, 2011

Alhambra Dinner Theatre

Last night I had an absolutely wonderful time with my dear wife, every weekend we look for something to do, but usually we wind up just relaxing and taking some time for ourselves. This weekend was different, I came home last Thursday and was informed that we have reservations for Saturday night to see 7 brides for 7 brothers at the Alhambra. This is the 3rd time that we've been to one of their performances and I have to say that I had alot of fun everytime.

Christmas Eve 2008 we decided to have a Non-traditional Christmas so we went to see their rendition of A Christmas Carol, the cast did a wonderful job bringing Scrooge and the ghosts to life.

Again on Christmas Eve 2010 we joined the Alhambra family once again for their performance of "It's a Wonderful Life" (The radio Broadcast). We really didn't know what to think about this one, as it was set-up to look and feel like the live radio play. To our surprise it worked out beautifully, the voice actors really played their characters well, the only downside was that there were too many characters to play for only 4 voice actors, so by the end of the performance those strong voices were getting a little weak.

And of course last night we went again this time to a non-holiday performance, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. At the opening of the play our main character opened with the song "Bless Your Beautiful Hide" which sounded choppy and slightly off. I can honestly say that this was the only major criticism of the entire play that I had. I can even overlook the wardrobe malfunction of one the characters (Caleb) where his lapel kept falling due to a button popping off and his obvious zipper malfunction... My wife pointed that one out to me. All in all it was a great play and very well choreographed, the dancing was actually pretty awesome.

Now on the the dinner part of the "Dinner Theatre". I know that they try to provide a great menu, but really the food has reminded me of buffet cafeteria style everytime we've gone. For me that is ok, but when you have someone who is picky and only eats 1 thing it really isn't worth the price. According to their playbill, the food portion of your ticket is approx. $24. For someone like me who will eat just about anything that is placed in front of him that's an ok price, but for my wife who eats 1 sliver of beef and 1 roll, not so much. I think that the Alhambra should offer a show price minus the dinner, or an all inclusive package for the dinner and the show, or they could have a variety of items for selection when booking your tickets. This is all my opinion, and would never stop me from returning to the Alhambra.

Sadly this will be our last performance we will be attending, due to a Military PCS move to Japan next month, but I would like to thank the staff and cast of the Alhambra for entertaining us for the last 3 years.

If you have never gone to a dinner theatre, I strongly recommend you try to go to at least one in your life, and if you live anywhere in Northeast Florida, may I recommend the Alhambra.

If you would like to make reservations or just stop by and see what shows are coming up feel free to Click HERE for their homepage, or HERE for their schedule.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I loved it too & enjoyed out date my love! I so agree with you about having more food options and being able to choose or also being able to choose no dinner as an option. I did enjoy the pot roast, the chicken was kind of bland and of course dessert was yummy and the coffee great!

    ReplyDelete