Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chopping Block


Sigh... where to begin... Ok, so the Navy released a new NAVADMIN about a week ago 121/11. This message basically says that the PTS program isn't getting the manning numbers down enough, so they're setting up a continuation board and are expected to axe 3000 sailors in approx.. 31 different ratings. LET THE HEADHUNTING BEGIN! I completely understand the why factor but it still makes me nervous. Why? Well according to the message I will be included in this board for consideration for retention. according to the message, the board is looking for any adverse entries on a sailors service record, but what criteria is going to be used when they don't reach that 3000. In paragraph 2 it states "THE BOARD WILL CONSIDER THE FACTORS LISTED BELOW IN RETENTION DETERMINATIONS. THIS LIST IS NOT ALL INCLUSIVE, BUT PROVIDES BASIC PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR  CONSIDERATION". Me personally, I don't meet those factors that are listed on the message, but I don't know what those other factors are going to be. Right now my rating (AT) is extremely overmanned and it definitely needs to be trimmed "A little off the top" IMO. I have found a home and career in the Navy and I would hate to get called into a Master Chiefs office, with the prepared speech, a bus ticket, and a thank you. Hell I don't know what I would do with the rest of my life if I didn't have the Navy to go to everyday.

All I can say is that we'll see what happens. Funny thing is, Oct 09 I was PTS approved, Nov 09; Nov 10; and Apr 11 Evals are all checked "Retention Recommended". So what is the purpose of those checks and balances, just to make people feel good and secure? I think that every Sailor should be told when they come in, not to expect to stay in the Navy until retirement because now that is a reality. That's not a very good recruiting tool is it? Well it's the truth. I am sure that I am safe from being axed right now, but no one is going to be safe forever.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. And to think that people in the military feel their jobs are safe...they are not! Being that we have decided to retire in the Navy, I guess it is really not just our choice anymore either. We can hope,lol.

    I love you :)

    ReplyDelete