Monday, March 28, 2011

It's the Final Countdown!!!

Last full week here in my present command. Looking back at my accomplishments over the last 3 years here in Jacksonville, I'm feeling a little empty. I didn't meet all of my goals but I leaned alot about being a leader from a pretty awesome Chiefs mess while I was here in VP-45. Here are some of the goals I set for myself when I arrived in 2008.

LPO (Head Guy in Charge) - Check
Individual Augmentee (IA)- Nope
Bachelor's Degree- Nope
Sailor of the Year- Nope
Advance to E7- Nope missed board twice
First Class Mess President or Vice-President- Nope (Voted out)

What did I do with my 3 years here? I honestly can say that I didn't do much. I missed out on many opportunities to change those nopes to a yes, but for some reason I just didn't reach out far enough to do it. I did however work my ass off and took good care of my sailors, I made a name for myself here as a fair leader. Being a leader in a command is almost like being a parent, It is damn hard to try and separate Dan Shrum from being AT1 Shrum. I think it is everyone's basic desire to be liked by all and not to be labeled as an asshole or a shitbag, but when you do your job well those labels start flying. All I can say is that I did the best job that I could. As this chapter closes in my life and a new one opens I can say that this was rewarding tour, and I got to meet so great people that I will never forget, both good and bad.  Some of those people who have helped me better myself that I would like to mention are ADCS Froeber, ADC Riley, ATC Kendall, AMC O'Dell, ATCS Culverhouse, AZ1 Herff, AS1 Franklin, and AWFC Lay. You guys have helped me in ways that you'll never understand.. Thank You from the bottom of my heart.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment