Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Disappointing Climax!!

Here's an eye catching title, but this post isn't about anything of a sexual nature. This is more about the dis-appointing nature of video games and their lack luster endings.

I have been an avid video gamer since pretty much the beginning. Over the years I have owned a Commadore 64, Atari, Caleco vision, Sega, Sega Saturn, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Multiple Gameboy platforms, at least 30 different computers, PS1, PS2, PS3, XBOX 360 (twice), Sega Gamegear, Sega Dreamcast.... You pretty much get the point.

I have played pretty much every type of game out there from BBS door games to Japanese Role Playing games and everything in between, and I have seen a severely degraded satisfaction factor at the end of games lately. Take for instance the new game HomeFront.. The US is invaded by a unified Korea and you are part of a ragtag insurgency trying to defend your freedoms and liberate parts of America. The game play was great, and the idea was awesome, but the problems come from the short lived game play. I started on a Friday and finished it Sunday afternoon, about 10 hours. At the End I was expecting the game to continue on to other parts of the US but it pretty much just ended.. Sighh another 60 dollars down the drain.. this is just one example of how many of the games end.. Black Ops was the same way. I know these game makers try to hook you on the story line so they can sell subsequent titles, but for fucks sake have some kind of resolution. I am pretty much reserving my game play anymore for role playing games. I have been playing Fallout 3 since it came out and I still go through and play it over and over. I love to explore the Capital Wasteland over and over because everytime I find something new. The end of that game actually has an ending to it with an end to the story line, and the funny thing is, it didn't hurt any New Vegas sales. IMO all first person shooter games for me will be rentals from now on, due to the quick game play.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Look, I learned something new about you today. You are a gamer. Woohoo.. now it will be easier to get you things for Xmas.

    ReplyDelete